From:   Mark Zelden <m...@mzelden.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date:   01/23/2012 12:07 PM
Subject:        Re: Set Clock Command
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:00:30 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:52:11 -0600, Mark Zelden wrote:
>>
>>Unfortunately the sysplex timer only support 1 offset.
>>
>Does that mean you must choose between GMT and LOCAL?  Ugh.
>Even if it supported two offsets, that's not enough.  But the
>Sysplex Timer (AKA ETR?  AKA STP?) should support only GMT.
>The rest should be done with software.  z/OS UNIX is far better
>than legacy z/OS in this area, while yet far inferior to other
>UNIX-like systems.  (Ubuntu Linux provides several hundred.)

The timer is set to GMT and operates from that.  But it also (optionally)
can have an offset.    The offset is set to pacific in our case.   I don't
know if *you* consider that hardware or software, but I consider
it "hardware".     For the LPARs not running pacific time, it means
taking the offset from software and changing CLOCKxx parmlib
members twice a year and either IPLing or using "SET TIMEZONE".

Prior to the existence of "SET TIMEZONE" (z/OS 1.7 and above)
we either used  RO *ALL,SET CLOCK =   with getting the local
time as close as we could to the GMT time or we used the
SETHOUR program  from CBT file 639 which did it for you
and could get the local time set to the same second as the
GMT time.   It also updated the CLOCKxx member in parmlib.

Regards,

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com

Mark