Prices for just about *everything* in Europe are higher than in the U.S.
One factor is VAT (Value Added Tax), but it's not the only factor. The U.K.
has a 20% VAT rate, for example, and that's certainly not the highest in
Europe. Sales tax rates in the U.S. range from 0% in a few states to around
half the U.K. rate in a few cities, particularly those with recently built
professional sports stadiums. :-)

Price in the U.K. for an Apple iPad 2 (16GB, no 3G): £399
Price in the U.S. for an Apple iPad 2 (16GB, no 3G): $499 (excluding sales
tax, which could be 0%)
U.K. price converted into U.S. Dollars (inter-bank exchange rate, as I
write this): $622.95
U.S. price with an 8% sales tax: $538.92
Percentage increase in U.K. price v. U.S. price (at 8% sales tax rate):
15.6%
Percentage increase in U.K. price v. U.S. price (at 0% sales tax rate):
24.8%

iPads are identical around the world, with the possible exception of the
electric power plug packed inside the box. Note that I'm not including the
5% rebate you get in the U.S. if you're using your Discover Card and Shop
Discover. In fact, it's cheaper to use my particular U.S.-issued credit
card in Singapore than it is to use a Singapore-issued credit card for
typical purchases, absent a special store promotion in Singapore. My
Australian colleagues in particular are amazed at the favorable terms for
U.S. credit cards compared to theirs.

Then there's the price of an automobile in Singapore compared to the U.S.
The difference is astonishing, even if the car is built in Japan. The
primary reason is that there are extremely high automobile taxes in
Singapore, but the taxes don't fully explain the difference.

The U.S. is an extremely big market with the best prices in the world
across the vast range of products, in my experience as a shopper. My wife
concurs, and her friends in the office gave her a long shopping list before
her most recent U.S. trip. :-)

As another example, my favorite Italian food products average about half
the price in the U.S. compared to Singapore, and Singapore compares pretty
favorably to other Asian countries in that regard. Even printer ink
cartridges made in Singapore are more expensive to buy in Singapore than
they are in the U.S.

Medical care is a notable exception. German-made suitcases are another,
perhaps less notable. (The U.S. has a significant luggage tariff.)

Of course, there's an easy way for companies to enjoy U.S. prices: relocate
to the U.S. :-)

I'm kind of amazed that international price differences are a surprise to
anyone. Heck, there are huge price differences *within* the U.S. And I'm
pretty darn sure your employer, if it operates internationally, doesn't
charge exactly the same price in every country. The U.S., by and large, is
a shopper's paradise. Hong Kong is pretty good, too. The best and the
brightest minds -- financial services/banking, anyone? -- are constantly
figuring out ways to "optimize" prices. Including many of your employers.
That's not a value judgment, that's just fact.

For the record, IBM has held the line on z/OS since...forever? z/OS debuted
in 2000 (with a price cut from OS/390), and I don't recall any other z/OS
price increases since then. (Somebody can correct me on that if necessary,
but my point still stands even if.) I do recall numerous z/OS price
decreases -- including AEWLC introduced just last year. Nobody else has
held the line like that -- much more than held the line. Just to pick
another random example, oil has approximately quadrupled in price in the
past 12 years. z/OS has a much lower *nominal* price (never mind real
price) than it did 12 years ago. I never like price increases -- I don't
like paying more for cans of tomato, guava, or electricity either -- but
perspective is very important in understanding the world.

Timothy Sipples
Resident Enterprise Architect (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com