Yes, this is possible. It is called PADS (Program Access to Data Sets).
It uses somthing called the "Conditional Access List" in RACF also. You
can basically say something like: "Allow user xyz to have ... access to
dataset ... if they are running program ..." An example:

ADDSD 'HLQ.MLQ.LLQ' UACC(NONE) OWNER(HLQ) GENERIC

PERMIT 'HLQ.MLQ.LLQ' ID(group) ACCESS(READ) WHEN(PROGRAM(FTP))

However, this does require that the program in question, FTP, be
"program controlled" by having an entry for it in the PROGRAM class,
similar to:

RADD PROGRAM FTP UACC(NONE) ADDMEM('dsn.containing.program'//PADCHK)

PERMIT FTP CLASS(PROGRAM) ID(group) ACCESS(READ)

Note that the above is very simplified and using PADS can become quite
complicated by things such as determining exactly which program is doing
the OPEN and which library it is coming from.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.