Paul Gilmartin writes:
>Exactly; I mean per installation.  The putative personal z/OS
>makes each customer a systems programmer.  You can run
>a Linux/OS X/Windows system without a systems programmer;
>not likely z/OS.  (But note that when IBM makes steps in that
>direction, many contributors to this list feel job security
>threatened.)

I disagree. There are systems programmers for Windows, Linux, UNIX, and
other operating systems. They may or may not be called system(s)
programmers, and they may or may not have other jobs in addition, but the
jobs exist. In huge numbers to support merely large numbers, which is a
problem if you care about productivity.

Heck, I'm the systems programmer for my iPhone. I manage network
connections, install/remove/update applications, perform backups (and
occasional restores), periodically update the operating system, etc., etc.
I don't have the title, and I do that work part time, but I still do the
job.

Don't confuse the fact that some (not all) IT organizations with mainframes
choose to have well-organized, well-structured, dedicated IT staffs with
clearly defined roles and responsibilities. That's an optional feature (and
advantage) facilitated by the platform, not a bug.

By the way, people-per-installation is not particularly relevant.
People-per-business outcome is much more relevant. If it takes 1,000
instances of operating system Y to deliver substantially the same business
outcome as 2 instances of operating system Z, who cares that it takes only
twice the number of people per installation of Z?

Timothy Sipples
Resident Enterprise Architect (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com