That is why IBM created the ERV parameter in SYS1.PARMLIB(IEAOPTxx).

This defines a period of time at for which the address space may not be
swapped to allow
Enques, locks, etc. to be released

<snip>
...snippage
A second reason was that in several occasions we saw the system allow
itself to be tied up (snookered is a beautiful equivalent term in this
sense) by low importance tasks. One area was the Catalog Address Space:
catalog actions are executed at the priority of the requestor and we had
several occasions where a User Catalog was reserved and the task that
did the Catalog Request was delayed for CPU, followed by CAS complaining
that someone had the Usercat reserved (come on, you did it yourself!).
We met similar situations in OMVS tasks.
That is why I always had the lowest priority tasks at IMP=5 VEL=2 (or
5), to guarantee at least a little progress in the less (but not
un-)important batch.
</snip>