On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:04:49 -0600, Jay Maynard wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:42:33AM -0600, Bill Godfrey wrote:
>> I don't know of any supported "terse" programs for the PC.
>
>Is the terse algorithm documented anywhere?

I am not certain , but I think terse uses a modified Lempel-Ziv algorithm,
either patent number 4,814,746 or 5,001,478. IBM owns both. The details of
the patents can be seen at http://www.uspto.gov/ (click on "search" under
patents, and on the next screen click on "patent number search", and on
the next screen enter the patent number and click on "search". The second
patent inventor's name shows up on the help screen of the OS/2 terse
program, and in the messages of the VSE terse program (messages which I
saw in a VSE listserv post). I read somewhere that terse uses the
algorithm in the first patent.

Bill Godfrey