As I keep saying, the problem is that the customer does not want to do that,
and arguing with the customer is not sales-enhancing.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Barry Schwarz
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:23 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: FTP userid propagation

  What is the problem with a userid.NETRC with a UACC of NONE [and maybe an
additional PE ID(*) ACC(NONE)]?  Except for someone with OPERATIONS,
everyone but the user should be locked out.

Charles Mills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:   I just posted the NETRC question
but perhaps I should instead ask the
fundamental underlying question. Here is what I want to do.

I want to have a program ABC running in a "normal" batch job that might be
submitted by any of a large number of TSO users invoke FTP and have it log
on to a remote z/OS FTP server and, among other things, submit a job. I have
complete control over the INPUT (command) file which is built on the fly.
Here is the key question: I would like the FTP logon to be with the userid
of the original user who submitted the batch job. Do any of you creative
souls want to suggest a reasonable way to do this?

A file with possible userids and the associated remote passwords fulfills
the letter of the above specs but is obviously totally unacceptable from a
security point of view.

I don't think NETRC does the job because a "local" NETRC is a security
disaster and a "global" NETRC file would only provide one userid and
password for the remote machine -- my whole point is I want to "propagate"
each individual user id.

Please don't ask "why do you want to do it that way?" The answer is "I
don't, the customer does."

Charles Mills