>tyvm, Timothy, for your expert analysis.
>
>Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a PCI?

PCI has to do with Payments for Credit Cards and their security.

The PCI Security Standards Council offers robust and comprehensive standards
and supporting materials to enhance payment card data security. These materials
include a framework of specifications, tools, measurements and support
resources to help organizations ensure the safe handling of cardholder
information at every step. The keystone is the PCI Data Security Standard (PCI
DSS), which provides an actionable framework for developing a robust payment
card data security process -- including prevention, detection and appropriate
reaction to security incidents.

For device vendors and manufacturers, the Council provides the PIN Transaction
Security (PTS) requirements, which contains a single set of requirements for
all personal identification number (PIN) terminals, including POS devices,
encrypting PIN pads and unattended payment terminals. A list of approved PIN
transaction devices can be accessed here.

To help software vendors and others develop secure payment applications, the
Council maintains the Payment Application Data Security Standard (PA-DSS) and a
list of Validated Payment Applications.

The Council also provides training to professional firms and individuals so
that they can assist organizations with their compliance efforts. The Council
maintains public resources such as lists of Qualified Security Assessors
(QSAs), Payment Application Qualified Security Assessors (PA-QSAs), and
Approved Scanning Vendors (ASVs). Large firms seeking to educate their
employees can take advantage of the Internal Security Assessor (ISA) education
program.

Lizette