Bart Grijn writes:
>There are large shops that run large mainframes, but they likely run
>other platforms as well and a large part of the manpower will be
>shared across platforms.

That's an excellent point. There's a common accounting measurement (FTEs =
Full-Time Equivalents) used to tally up labor effort when you have
particular individuals working on multiple projects and to provide a level
of abstraction in measurements. That said, a lot of organizations, if they
calculate FTEs, do it badly.

For example, I've seen many cases where the "mainframe team" ends up with
problem determination responsibility for non-specific IT issues. They might
be counted as mainframe FTEs, but they spend much or most of their time
providing network support, desktop support, etc. If FTE calculations were
based on problem outcomes and root causes rather than who happened to take
the call, that'd probably be useful.

Timothy Sipples
Resident Enterprise Architect (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com