On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:31:03 -0600, John McKown wrote:

>Linux addresses this issue via a utility called "mlocate". It runs
>periodically, usually once a day during a low activity time, via
>crontab. And, as you immediate can tell, it is not real time. Files get
>created and deleted without an immediate database update. Hum, might be
>interesting to see about using the inotify interface to implement a
>"real time" update to the mlocate database.
>
>I wonder if z/OS UNIX has something to monitor UNIX filesystem events.
>Something to think about.

OS X does much of this for a couple purposes.

"Spotlight" maintains a timely index of not only names but also
content of files.

"Time Machine" performs hourly incremetal backups based on
notifications without scanning the entire filesystem for changes.
But after a restart, TM does scan the entire filesystem to
detect recent changes.

-- gil