On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 08:42 +0100, R.S. wrote:
<snip>
> What is cool is that SMS storage group. Usually users do not see the
> volumes, they see dasd space. In case of shortage you can simply add
> some volumes to the group. You can even buy new box and simply add it to
> the group. And that's really cool IMHO.

You'd like LVM2 on Linux. You assign your physical disk partitions to a
physical volume group (conceptually like an SMS volume group). You can
then divvy up the space in that group into various sized logical
volumes. This is then initialized with a filesystem with mkfs
(equivalent to ICKDSF, I guess). If the filesystem runs out of space,
and you used the proper type of filesystem (there are many), you simply
expand the size of the logical volume into unused space in the group.
You then resize the filesystem. If you used ext4 or btrfs, I think you
can do this while it is in use. If you used ext3, I think you need to
unmount it (take it "offline") to resize it. If you're out of space in
the volume group, buy another disk and initialize it into the physical
volume group, then expand. logical volume space does not need to be
physically contiguous.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><