CC's LE  strictures are understandable, not least because he has done
things with it that few others have had the temerity to attempt.

As I have said here before: The LE Vendor Interfaces manual is the
best reference for knowledgeable people; there is no good reference
for novices; and I am not sure that a comprehensive one is possible.

The mathematical subroutines are superb; and the dynamic-storage
management routines, support for heaps and stacks, are now eminently
usable.

Some of the other facilities are intrinsically problematic.  In the
interest of keeping it "small", Brian Kernighan's self-abnegating
design of C avoids any use of execution-time descriptors, quondam dope
vectors; and if you do not know what they are or why anyone would wish
to use them you will find them intrusive; COBOL programmers are unused
to distinguishing static and LIFO (automatic) storage, etc., etc.

To sum up, application programmers need help; but everyone who has set
out to help them has found the experience of trying to do so
disagreeable.  They are a motley crew, and it is hard to meet their
very diverse needs concurrently.

--
John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA