In <2142326002012139.wa.paulgboulderaim....@bama.ua.edu>, on
02/28/2012
   at 06:09 PM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> said:

>I learned long ago to insert line breaks where I want them -- it's
>the big key to the right of the home row.

Which makes things harder for thos using a narrower window to read
them.

>F=F is an abominable compromise.

But better than alternating long and short lines.

>Q-P is no better.

Much as I hate QP, it has a useful role.

>Both are attempts at stealth markup

No; QP is a way to sneak non-ASCII data into an ASCII protocol without
breaking things.

>structured text that appears plain

FSVO structured text.

>The games they play are never quite transparent.

No protocol is transparent to software that doesn't support it. Half a
decade is long enough for the authors of e-mail software to start
supporting MIME.

>They corrupt plain text that I paste in.

Then you're running broken software.

>MS Exchange

is broken.

>I believe F=F uses <SPACE><NEWLINE> as a continuation
>indicator.  Woe betide anyone who allows a space to occur before
>a hard line break.

That can only happen with broken software. From RFC 3676

   A generating agent SHOULD:

   o  Trim spaces before user-inserted hard line breaks.