On z/OS 1.11 and probably as far back as OS/390 2.10, I have had no problem
using the MERGECAT operand specifying the active master catalog in either
direction (source or destination).

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Holst" <jeff.ho...@fiserv.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:31:56 AM
Subject: Re: User datasets wrongly catalogued under Master Catalogue

Somewhere stuck in the back of mymemory is a restriction that the source
catalog for a REPRO MERGECAT cannot be the active master catalog. However, I am
not able to find something in the documentation to back up this memory.

Maybe this is an old restriction that has since been removed; maybe I cannot
find the doc to prove this; maybe I am just getting old.

If this is a restriction, you can always bring up the system with another
master catalog and connect this master catalog to it and treat it as a user
catalog.