On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 10:19:03 -0500, Steve Conway wrote:

>Ed Jaffe said:
>IMHO, STP should be included in the price of the machine.
>
>I totally agree.  There should also be an option to use NTP.  Not every
>shop needs the granularity of STP, and they damn sure don't want to pay
>for functionality that comes free on every other piece of hardware in the
>house..
>
>Right now, the choices are either to pay $BIGNUM for time keeping software
>unique to the hardware platform or to have no time keeping software.
>
>When I'm trying to advocate a zBox as cost effective, this does not help.

Would your argument from TCO be any more effective if IBM bundled the
STP and raised the base system price by the now cost of the STP?
(It's possible; the number of line items has negative weight regardless
of the bottom line.)

But what's the business case for IBM?  Would increased revenue per sale
offset loss of sales in the non-STP niche market?

And if an ISV provided clock steering software based on NTP, would
this, Neon-like, violate any IBM legal constraints?

-- gil