>Hello Listers,
>
>I am in the process of doing some work in a macro written years ago.
>
>The problem I am faced with is that the parameter list is something like the
>following:
>
>LABEL   MACNAME  P1=X,P2=Y,P3=Z,...  Where the parameters can go out to p24.
>And, unfortunately, there are 4 sets of parameters of this nature, not to
>mention a few
>"unique" parameters on the list (not suffixed with a number).
>
>My question is, does the macro assembly language allow for compound variable
>names?
>So far, everything I have tried has met with resistance from the assembler.

This sounds like somebody didn't know what they were doing, going nuts with
macros.
What do you mean by a "compound variable name"?
HL-ASM macro-language symbols can be, basically, arbitrarily long (up to 62
characters).
The value of a symbol can (optionally) be a list of comma-separated values,
surrounded
by parentheses.

If you look at the macros IBM provides to invoke MVS assembler services (in
SYS1.MACLIB
and SYS1.MODGEN), they tend to not have huge numbers of parameters, and the
names
of these parameters are reasonably descriptive. See, for example, IARV64, one
of the
more-modern ones.

Unfortunately, you have to deal with someone else's overly-complicated code.
I feel sorry for you.

>Thanks,
>Chuck

>Charles (Chuck) Hardee