I have a VSAM KSDS CLUSTER which is written to by ONLY ONE PROGRAM in ONLY ONE
CICS REGION. Currently, this file is defined in CICS with STRNO(1).  The file
is defined with SHR(4,3) because while being written ONLY in CICS, it is being
read by a non-reentrent ASSEMBLER program running in BATCH.  SHR 4 forces VSAM
to harden each I/O (yeah, I know!) so the BATCH gets the current information.

Please spare me all the comments about how poor this solution is as it
stands. It has been in place for decades and due to a myriad of reasons,
the philosophy CANNOT change.

My specific question is this:

I want to introduce multi tasking so that 5 copies of the program can update
the file concurrently. If we change STRNO(1) to STRNO(5) on the CICS FCT
Definition, will VSAM be smart enough to manage the writes to the file so we
don't break it and the BATCH still gets the current information?

I am interested in any discussion you might share, but I am most interested in
a specific reference to a reliable document.

Please help.

Thanks

Mike Kovach