We had a problem on Monday morning which was a bit of a surprised. Over
the weekend we installed z/OS 1.13 on all of our remaining systems.

Thought i'd pass along as a 'heads up'. We didn't see much about this in
any of the migration manuals or from SHARE we attended. We had on our
sysplex systems HSM lock up during the CDS backup. We found out there is
new functionality in 1.13. By rolling HSM we seem to get out of it without
a problem but does scare you after rolling out z/OS to your systems. We
didn't have this of course when the test systems were at 1.13 and the
production systems were at 1.12. We noticed when the whole sysplex was at
1.13. We will make adjustments to GRS this weekend but ..... would of been
nice to know more about it ahead of time.

Here is a snip from our ETR with IBM

The SYSZARC/CATTABLE is new to HSM in 1.13. In 1.13, functionality
was added into HSM that was designed to reduce the chance of "hangs"
occurring within HSM when CDS Backup kicks off. CDS Backup is the only
HSM function that requires an EXCLUSIVE ENQ on ARCGPA/ARCCAT to process.
In order for CDS Backup to process, any task currently holding a SHARED
ENQ needs to complete before CDS Backup can obtain the EXCLUSIVE ENQ.
Prior to 1.13, these tasks holding any SHARED ENQs would only DEQ the
ARCGPA/ARCCAT resource when HSM was finished processing the
dataset/volume it was on. In 1.13, functionality was added
to have these tasks put on hold in the middle of a dataset/volume when
a CDS Backup request comes in and then resumed when the CDS Backup ends.
The SYSZARC/CATTABLE resource is involved in this new functionality.

Thanks
Andy S. White