On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Jake anderson <justmainfra...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Apology for asking a basic question and Being Ignorant. We know that GO TO
> statments are a big "NO" in many production sites and one of the reason
> being it monopolizes the entire CPU. Are there any documentation explaining
> about the  GO TO statements  which clearly describes how it  effects the
> System CPU and performances ?

I don't think a GO TO statement in COBOL monopolizes the CPU.  A poorly
designed program (with or without GO TO statements) can
needlessly monopolizes the CPU.

Typically GO TO statements can be avoided by having a good design.  A local
GO TO here and there is not so bad.  The non-local GO TO statements can
make long-term maintenance of a program problematic and expensive.

Saam