I've lost track of the original postings in this thread, but I have this
suggestion: never IPL an entire sysplex into a new XCF-anything unless you
absolutely have no other choice. It's always preferable to move
dynamically into a new XCF-something with at least one member running on
the old one. It's (almost always?) possible to define a new thing in
advance and migrate to it via SETXCF commands. This may mean defining a
currently nonexistent resource ahead of time. XCF will tolerate a new
thing it can't find yet as well as later tolerate an old thing it no
longer find. Just clean up definitions at the very end to reflect the new
environment.

In the case of control data sets, create new ones with modern attributes,
then SETXCF-migrate to them. By the time an actual hardware replacement
occurs, new things should already be defined to the existing sysplex. The
danger in cold starting with new components is that there's no way to test
the process in advance, and falling back to a known environment may be
complicated beyond reasonable resolution.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
SCE Infrastructure Technology Services