john.mck...@healthmarkets.com (McKown, John) writes:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=plugable_multiseat_kick&num=1
>
> This is a USB device which can plug into a normal PC running Linux
> (Fedora 17 is mentioned). You then connect a DisplayLink monitor, USB
> keyboard and mouse to the device. And you have a multi-user system on
> a single PC. Not a "server" PC with other PCs connected as "clients",
> but just one single PC. Reminds me of what could be done with MP/M-80
> (the multiuser version of CP/M-80), except back then it was a serial
> (RS-232?) connected keyboard/display. Or, maybe, an S/360 with a
> 2260(?) or 3272(?).

cp67 (ran on 360/67) delivered to the univ. jan1968 had support for 2741
(selectric typewriter with computer/rs-232 interface) and 1052 (sort of
like 360 1052-7 operators console with rs-232 interface) terminals.

the univ. had ascii/tty terminals ... so I added tty/ascii terminal
support. the 2741/1052 support did games with switching terminal
controller SAD command ... associated terminal specific line-scanner
with each port/line ... so I added tty/ascii support in similar manner.
I had wanted to have single dial-up number (hunt group) for all dial-up
terminals ... but ibm terminal controller had taken short-cut ... while
it was possible to change line-scanner, the line-speed was hard-wired
for each port/line ... 2741&1052 operated at same line-speed, but
tty/ascii was different speed.

this somewhat was motivation for univ. to start clone controller
project, reverse engineered 360 channel interface and build channel
interface board for Interdata/3 programmed to emulate ibm terminal
controller (but also supporting dynamic line-speed). Interdata then
takes the implementation and markets as clone controller; Perken-Elmer
then buys Interdata and continues to market under their own brand (30
yrs later ran across one in large east coast datacenter handling large
percentage of point-of-sale dial-up terminals in the US). There is some
write-up blaming four of us for (some part of) IBM clone controller
business. past posts mentioning clone controller
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm

This claims a major motivation for the Future System effort was clone
controller business. There is also some implication that major design
criteria for SNA was tight integration between NCP&VTAM ... a
continuation of the FS goals:
http://www.ecole.org/Crisis_and_change_1995_1.htm

And then Ferguson & Morris book, "Computer Wars: The Post-IBM World",
Time Books, 1993, mention that distraction of Future System and killing
off work on 370 products ... and then after Future System imploded and
delays in getting 370 efforts restarted, allowed clone processors to
gain market foothold.

before there was ms/dos there was seattle computer,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
before seattle computer there was cp/m,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Computer_Products
before there was cp/m there was cp67/cms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M

kildall worked on cp67/cms at npg (gone 404, but lives on at the
wayback machine)
http://web.archive.org/web/20071011100440/http://www.khet.net/gmc/docs/museum/en_cpmName.html

npg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Postgraduate_School

cp67/cms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/CMS

there is also folklore that person that did mp/m-80 had done a lot of
work on cp67/cms