I couldn't agree more, Bruce.

It has been interesting reading this thread and seeing people talking about
suing and so on.  My question is: Do Oracle or IDMS or any other 390-based DBMS
have any facility for internal sorting?  My guess would be "yes".  Do they
require the end-user to purchase an additional external sort routine to make
them function?  Probably not.  DB2 needed internal sort functionality and
decided to borrow code fro the DFSort folks rather than re-invent the wheel.
Something about code-reuse which I seem to recall somebody making comments
about IBM not reusing code.  Here they are, and getting complaints about it.  I
don't recall anywhere in this thread where IBM said I couldn't use SyncSort or
any other sort routine on the box that is running DB2, nor are they requiring
me to buy DFSort, nor are they giving me a full, free license to use DFSort.
This whole thread seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill.  It almost
seems like it's Friday the 13th or something like that...

Just my $.02.

Rex

> Interesting thanks for the Ă…PAR info. I would guess if I was
> maintaining a system nowdays and having syncsort I could see this as
> a issue (not sure how big or small) but another step needed to
> customize DFSORT. I know you can't comment but has the Syncsort
> started to sue yet?:)

As I read this, nothing needs to be done to customize DFSORT.  DFSORT
comes with all z/OS systems but may not be licensed.  DB2 has an
interface which allows it to use certain DFSORT functions even if the
customer is not licensed.  I'm not a SORT or DB2 person, but it sounds
pretty transparent

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR

[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html