The VARY command updates the active configuration in the SMS address space,
not the SCDS dataset.  By issuing the SETSMS after the VARY, you restored
everything back the way it was, in effect undoing the vary.

Either
     1 - update an SCDS and then activate it
or
     2 - update the active configuration with VARY commands and then perform
SETSMS SAVESCDS(dsn) to save the updated configuration in an SCDS.