I have never used ISMF in batch so someone else will have to discuss if it
is possible to activate an SCDS that way.

The simplest way to activate an SCDS in batch is to submit a step that
issues the SETSMS SCDS operator command.  It can be done by JCL, various CBT
utilities, or a small homegrown assembler program that runs authorized.