From: McKown, John <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>
To: IBM-MAIN <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Wed, Jun 6, 2012 5:15 am
Subject: Re: JCL PROBLEM

Just a point which may not be obvious (at least it wasn't to me). The default of 5 tape volumes is "hard coded" only for non-SMS managed tapes. Truly! If you are using SMS managed tapes (in an automated or even manual library), then you can assign a default DATACLAS. In this DATACLAS, you can set the "volume count" to something else. We started having problems with some backups of files which had ballooned suddenly, which was causing a lot of abends due to exceeding tape volumes. There were simply too many JCL streams to update in a timely manner (change control). Since all our application tapes are in a VTS library, and so SMS managed, I simply changed our default DATACLAS which is assigned to virtual
tapes to have a "volume count" of 110. Saved a ton of work.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets®

9151 Boulevard 26 . N. Richland Hills . TX 76010
(817) 255-3225 phone .
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com . www.HealthMarkets.com

proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. HealthMarkets® is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. -The Chesapeake Life Insurance Company®, Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA
Life and Health Insurance Company.SM