<snip>

> There's no real architectural difference between a GCP and a zAAP (or
> even an IFL for that matter). It's really just a question of
> what work
> gets dispatched there...
>
> --
>  -----------------------------------------------------------------
> | Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |

Depends on what you mean by a "real" difference. z/OS uses at least one
instruction which is not implemented on an IFL as it is on a GP
processor. That's why you will get a "check stop" condition if you IPL
z/OS in an LPAR which is defined as using an IFL. I agree that a problem
program should see no differences. I was always curious if I could
figure out a way to "cheat" to run COBOL on a zAAP somehow. But I don't
have a zAAP to mess around with. And I don't run z/OS 1.7 either (isn't
that were zAAPs are first supported?)

But I will admit that I don't know exactly how different a zAAP is from
a GCP. I just remember that some things will NOT work on a zAAP. I
thought it was supervisory instructions and some types of interrupts.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.