Well, one reason why is that I only want to bring up my CF LPAR in case of
an extended outage on my external CF.

We investigated all kinds of combinations and permutations, one of them
being to upgrade our 2086-450, having 4 engines and 650 mips, to 2 engines
and 700 mips, and convert one of the spare engines to an ICF.  The charge
for converting a PU from CP to ICF was over $100k.  The cost of a used z900
CF is slightly over $100k.  We decided the cost of a couple of sysplex
timers was worth it to not have to give up 2 engines and the parallelism
that they enable.

Regards,
Cathy