>He may as well try for the big bucks while he can, as it looks like he
won't
>be needed soon. The CEO and President of Hewlett-Packard made the
following
>comment in the opening statement of this years annual report:
>"The best way to steer a company toward growth is to look out four or
five
>years at the big market trends evolving, and then work backward to
identify
>opportunities...   There will be continued movement toward a lower cost,
>industry-standard, distributed computing environment and a shift away
from
>mainframe computing".
>Does this mean HP is going to stop making mainframes?        ;-)

"Continued movement"? Didn't IBM just announce its best mainframe revenue
quarter since 1998 (the year of great Y2K preparation)? (Mainframes cost
less than they did in 1998, by the way.) When is this movement going to
start?

<SARCASM>Darn that pesky IBM, investing billions year after year to
deliver the industry's premier business servers year after year. Haven't
they heard that what customers really want are systems that require little
or no R&D expense?</SARCASM>

I'd also be interested to know why HP recently *entered* the mainframe
outsourcing business. My best guess is that HP identified an opportunity.
Better not tell the CEO. :-)

And yet another reminder: I do not speak for IBM. Especially about HP,
which is a fine company, truly. I appreciate the great service I get from
my "legacy" Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4L printer, although I confess I
don't buy cartridges from HP.

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]