From: Timothy Sipples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Continued movement"? Didn't IBM just announce its best mainframe revenue
quarter since 1998 (the year of great Y2K preparation)? (Mainframes cost
less than they did in 1998, by the way.) When is this movement going to
start?

Years ago it was commonly perceived that VHS was going to win the VHS/Beta war, and this became a self-fulfilling prophesy. Likewise, the decline of the mainframe is also commonly perceived. Whether it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy depends in large part on how much IBM is willing to challenge the perception.

I'd also be interested to know why HP recently *entered* the mainframe
outsourcing business. My best guess is that HP identified an opportunity.
Better not tell the CEO. :-)

My best guess is that HP identified an opportunity all right; it's far easier to persuade a customer to move from mainframes to PC's when you're already running their IT department.

And yet another reminder: I do not speak for IBM. Especially about HP,
which is a fine company, truly.

I agree; HP is a fine company. That's why I invest in their stock and why I just received their annual report. Millions of other investors saw it as well, and like me they also read the unchallenged statement from the CEO regarding the declining use of the mainframe.

Dave Salt
SimpList(tm) - The easiest, most powerful way to surf a mainframe!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm