IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 02/08/2006
06:53:16 PM:

> Jim wrote on 09/02/2006 08:29:55 AM:
>
> > > I suspect that they discovered that on modern systems, the time
savings

> > > from the suspended I/O was not sufficient to justify it and the
> > > associated issues like OA09675.
> >
> >   Exactly correct.
>
> No doubt true for the "latest and greatest" kit with all the go-fast
> goodies.
> Looks like that APAR is targeted at z/OS 1.4+. Given that it's HIPER I
> guess most people will pick up the PTF as soon as it's published.
> How is this going to affect customers on DASD without PAV ???. Maybe
ESCON
> attached even ...
>
> What about those on non-z kit that are still running 31-bit ???. Some of
> them are liable to be doing substantial paging to disk.

  I don't expect anyone to see a measurable difference.  It may have been
possible to continue to use Suspend/Resume for paging
to non-PAV capable DASD, but I think that the benefit of Suspend/Resume
is so negligible that this would not be worthwhile.

  Suspend/Resume was introduced in MVS/370 SP1.3, at the same time that
dynamic tack-on to a running channel program was implemented in ASM.
SP1.3 also had other perfomance enhancements (such as path length
reduction on commonly used paths in Getmain/Freeemain).  When doing
performance measurements on a release with multiple performance
enhancements, it can be difficult to ascertain how much benefit is
due to which enhancement.  Seeing as this was 25 years ago, I don't
recall what the projected benefit of Suspend/Resume was, nor
how accurately it was measureable.  On the 3033 machine, I think there
was supposed to be some benefit to RIO over SIO.  There was (and still
is) a somewhat shorter pathlength through IOS for RSCH vs. SSCH.
However, when considering the total path length to process a page
fault/page-in through program check handler, RSM, ASM, I/O
interrupt handler, and IOS, I expect the RSCH vs SSCH difference to
be negligible.

  Much of the benefit to the SP1.3 paging enhancements may have
come from dynamic tack-on to already running channel programs,
and we are not removing that function.

  When there is enough paging activity to keep the page data set
busy, then many requests are handled via the dynamic tack-on,
with neither an RSCH or SSCH.  On the other hand, if there is little
paging activity, then there isn't much RSCH or SSCH.  So the
maximum RSCH or SSCH for paging would occur when there is just the
right amount of activity such that another request comes along just
after the previous request completed (but a bit too late for a
dynamic tack-on).  If one were able to construct such a workload,
then it could be used to measure an upper bound on the benefit
of Suspend/Resume.  However, I would contend that such a workload
is atypical today.  Most systems I see do little paging (so not much
SSCH/RSCH for paging), except when there are spikes due to things
like SVC dump (in which case mostly tack-on, so again not much
SSCH/RSCH for paging).

> And does this mean another hoary old ROT - don't assign non-page
datasets
> on page volumes - can be assigned to the dustbin of history ???.

   If you were avoiding putting other data sets on page volumes only
for the purpose of avoiding the need to terminate a suspended paging
channel program in order to initate I/O to the other data sets, then
yes.  If you were also trying to avoid paging delays by avoiding having
the initiation of paging I/O being queued due to an active channel
program to another data set on non-PAV DASD, then no.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY