On Feb 14, 2006, at 6:58 AM, ibm-main wrote:

From: "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)"
:
: >Don't get me started on the CBPDO process and smp/e.
:
: Kids these days. I've been around for every release of SMP, and I was
: around before there was an SMP. You don't know when you're well off.

Mmmmm - then there was the joy of using the Fujitsu attempt at reverse
engineering SMP.
Made SMP4 look good.

Shane,

I don't know about Fujitso and I was around before SMP and I will agree that what was there was pitiful. We had one person dedicated to figuring out PTF's. The chart that the person designed was a spreadsheet (not on a pc). He was a senior systems programmer and he hated it (IIRC).

The DIS(WRITE) etc was almost comical in the everyday use of smp.

The current incantation of SMPe while way above above the old stuff still needs lots of work, especially in the (sorry forgot the correct term) list that back tracks and list which ptf did not go on and why. I ran an apply check for about two years of maint. The list was (about) 2000 entries long. It took me quite a while to figure out there was one ptf missing.

Ed