Nobody answered, so I'll put my $0.02.

1. AFAIK, IRD prerequisite is to have several LPARs in one CPC, belonging to same sysplex. IMHO it is not very popular to run parallel sysplex on single CPC. Usually the LPARs on CPC are not sysplexed (or belong to different syplexes).
In other words, IRD is not very popular.

2. AFAIK, DCM requires channels to be connected via director. Direct connections are not supported.

In fact I've never seen shop using IRD and DCM.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Christian Blesa wrote:

Good morning,

we're studying the implementation of IRD in our installation (running on
z/OS 1.4) and we have read the following redbook: SG24-5952-00 about z/OS
Intelligent Resource Director. This redbook was written in August 2001 and
we have seen possible obsolete references like the supported control units.

At the time of writing, Dynamic Channel-path Management does not manage
FICON Native channels. In addition, HCD will not allow you to define a
control unit with both managed channels and FICON Native channels. Also,
DCM will not manage a control unit that shares any channels with a control
unit that has FICON Native channels, nor will it manage any affected
control units.

Our installation works with FICON Native, FICON Director and, also, with
2107 ESS and we would like to know if there are supported by IRD.

Could you forward us an updated reference manual/link/reference?