I just reviewed the z/OS withdrawal dates and 1.6 is proposed
to be withdrawn September 2007. This is a year earlier than I had
planned and a year earlier that what I thought was IBM's stated
direction. It's currently listed as a "proposed date", so it might
extend, but I need a more solid date in order to plan properly.

   I don't recall seeing anything that would indicate IBM has
changed their four release policy. So what gives ??? Is everyone
else upgrading every year ???
I don't recall if IBM issued a formal change, but as of z/os 1.6 they went to a "every 12 month" release schedule instead of the "every 6 months, more or less" in use before.

In 9/2007, z/OS 1.9 (or whatever it will be called) will be released, so if they drop 1.6, they will be supporting 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9, 3 years of releases. If you look back at the earlier releases, the available and EOS dates, each was supported for 3 years, so they are consistent.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR