At 13:57 -0600 on 02/21/2006, Todd Burch wrote about Re: z/Architecture Principles of Operation (SA22-7832-04):

Point taken, and I have to agree that your sample coding technique will work
just fine.

However, I prefer to let the assembler work for me, and to not spend my time
manually coding up all the parms and bits and such for macros, so that when
they expand all that is left to expand is an SVC.

Todd

The sample I supplied was just to show the MF expansion (which was what you were complaining about). The rest of the Macro Parms would be coded normally. OTOH, so long as you are trying to go with baseless coding, you have to worry about the macros that need base registers for their expansion/parameter-references.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: z/Architecture Principles of Operation (SA22-7832-04)

 At 11:51 -0600 on 02/21/2006, Todd Burch wrote about Re:
 z/Architecture Principles of Operation (SA22-7832-04):

 >Certainly I can do that.  And, when I do that, I have absolutely no need
for
 >the LDF instructions.
 >
 >The purpose of the Long Displacement Facility is to provide relief for
base
 >register constraint.  Coding a "LAY R1" to get around a macro expansion,
and
 >taking up a base register to do that, doesn't buy me diddly squat in
terms
 >of "base register relief".

 R1 IS the register that is loaded by the MF=(E,LIST) parm. Thus
 generate the LA 1,List (since R1 has already been loaded). There is
 no EXTRA register used. Here are the expansions for your review.

 000000                00000 00014     1 TESTMF   CSECT
                   R:C  00000           2          USING *,12
                                        3          WTO   MF=(E,LIST)
 000000 4110 C010            00010     7+         LA    1,LIST
 000004 0A23                           8+         SVC   35
 000006 E310 C010 0071       00010     9          LAY   1,LIST
                                       10          WTO   MF=(E,(1))
 00000C 0A23                          14+         SVC   35
 000010                               15 LIST     DS    F
                                       16          END