Patrick,

Thank you for your response.

I'm not sure you completely understood. I asked about dynamic VIPA and your
example is for a static VIPA. The problem I had was with OMPROUTE OSPF
statements and not the PROFILE statements. My use of the word "advertise" -
rather than "define" perhaps - is supposed to be a hint that I was talking
about the dynamic routing.

I'm recalling an issue I had back in 2001. If I remember correctly, what I
wanted to do was ensure that, if a dynamic VIPA was not "active" in any of
the LPARs, typically of a parallel sysplex, then an attempt to start, say, a
TCP connection with that VIPA would get as far as the "backbone", Area 0,
router which fed the stub area supporting the LPARs and no further. I accept
that the address range covering the dynamic VIPAs would probably be
"consolidated" in that router and it was unrealistic that each potential
client would know within its routing table that the application
corresponding to the dynamic VIPA was unavailable. Blocking the TCP
connection attempts at the Area 0/stub area router seemed the best option.
Unfortunately OMPROUTE didn't want to play ball.

At the time I was working on this I wasn't that familiar with OSPF. Since
then I have studied OSPF somewhat but I haven't discovered that "host"
routes should not be advertised just like net and subnet routes. However, I
must confess to being a self-taught IP person and I may have suffered from
not attending, say, Cisco classes on all these practical IP matters.

I'm hoping that Hal Merritt or John Giltner or anyone else actually using
the VIPARANGE IOCTL or VIPARANGE BIND flavours of dynamic VIPA will be able
to comment on their approach to this issue and on what they have achieved.

Chris Mason