It's been working since the '70s

"Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
02/23/2006 08:51 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: IBM Supported method to empty PDS in Batch

In
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 02/22/2006
   at 12:53 PM, Richard Tsujimoto
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I don't recall if IBM explicitly states that you cannot/should not
>mess  with the PDS directory records, although common sense may
>dictate  otherwise.  But, when I was a newbie MVS sysprog in the
>early 70's, it was  more like the wild west.  We had fiche, so we had
>the info to muck with  the code.  One tool we used was a simple
>program that emptied a PDS.  We  wanted to maintain the order and
>space allocation of various SYS1 data  sets.  The program basically
>rewrites the first PDS directory record, so  that it had the same
>info as a newly created, but empty one.  The program  still works
>today, so the cache of being supported by IBM is not that
>important.

The directory structure is well documented, and emptying it out is a
piece of cake IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Writing such code based
on guesses is an invitation to disaster.