>BTW:  Isn't COBOL the most primitive language in use ? OK, I assume Basic

>(BASIC  ?) is not in use. Isn't COBOL unpopular on other platforms  ?

Agreed, not even close.

Enterprise COBOL is very advanced. XML, Unicode, object stuff, every kind
of cross-language calling convention, a really advanced LE runtime, high
performance....

The whole article is a bit like arguing that English is primitive so we
should all switch to Esperanto. You want your programming language for
your tax system to be durable, and COBOL is definitely durable. Scores of
"popular" programming languages have come and gone during COBOL's
lifetime, and the analysts estimate there's a net new 5 million lines of
COBOL each year, today. But if they want to write new business logic in
some other language, no problem -- COBOL can fully interoperate with lots
of other languages.

I did cringe at the Microsoft .NET bit. Not a good idea, IMHO. I would
have picked something that didn't *require* such a complex multi-tiered
deployment architecture. (Whether I would actually install a complex
deployment architecture is another question, but I wouldn't have picked
something that required it.) But I realize Accenture has people on the
bench they need to use. :-)

[Please note that I am speaking only for myself (at most) and not for my
employer. My employer has the deepest respect for Accenture, at least
occasionally.]

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]