On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 12:59:13 -0500, Kittendorf, Craig
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We've lost our console defined with ICC.  I've tried vary devices
>offline, vary path offline, and config chp offline.  Even took the chp
>offline thru the HMC, then put everything back.  Still get ioer on
>console.  PTF UA19278 may be related.
>
>Any way to get the console back?

Yes :-))
I got hit 2 times on my z/990's after a problem on my network fibers ,
3 things :
1: it fails after some interruption on the network and the port defined does
not work anymore  ( in our case our CWDM hardware was the trigger )
2: The recovery is just impossible with all known commands , and i have
opened a hardware call  to tackle this recovery ucode problem
3: the good news : in order to recover ,this is what we did and it worked
both case ( first time it took hours to figure it out )
Go to you HMC ICC panel and change the port you were using ( in my case i
use 9900) , change this port to whatever let us say 8800 , activate the new
ICC config  , then when it is done , put back port 9900 and activate again.
You consoles will work again like a charm no need for ipl . ( and for info
i reipled my sandbox partition , and it did not bring back the missing
consoles for this lpar )
This procedure just recycles the ICC card code , and the port answers again
I'll keep you posted when Hardware comes back with a ucode fix .
Bruno
Bruno(dot)sugliani(at)groupemornay(dot)asso(dot)fr