<----- snip ----->
as I wrote, you actually CAN mantain your CFRM couple datasets, with your
policy, provided that your policy comprises both primary and DR CF; what you
need to have for DR purposes only, is an empty and initialized XCF COUPLE
dataset (easy to do once.... and to forget) and a PARMLIB COUPLExx member,
to be used in DR situations.

...snip ...
I was hoping to use the existing COUPLE dataset and the existing policy.
Since these datasets will be PPRC "mirrored" I was hoping to find a way to
not maintain 2 separate policy definitions so that the day-to-day policy
definitions would be automatically used at the DR location.
...snip ...

You could try the following:

If you do not mirror the primary XCF couple dataset you could dedicate a
volume for it and use the same dataset name and volser in the DR site (the
volume - and so the primary XCF dataset - is not mirrored). That way you can
use even the same COUPLExx.

Zaromil