From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Laura Prill
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 11:27 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: SMP/E for non-sysprogs?

Hello,

Has anybody worked in a shop where people other than systems programmers
use SMP/E to maintain third-party products?

We currently have a discussion going on in our shop about transferring
PTF
maintenance duties for one third-party product to an administrative
group
that happens to include one former sysprog with SMP/E experience.
Because
the others in the group do not have systems backgrounds, I am concerned
that this decision could come back to haunt us in the long run, and that
it also may open Pandora's box for other third-party products where the
administrators are definitely non-technical.  However, I do not want to
stand in the way of a good idea by overreacting, if my concerns have no
basis.

If anyone has experienced this situation and could tell me the pros
and/or
cons from your experience, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
Laura Prill