Hi Len,

I have certainly used the BrightStor CA-1 Tape Management Copycat Utility
in the past to perform media conversion, basically you just select the
output device you require and the old data is input on a compatible device
type while your target output device is something of your choice.

http://www3.ca.com/solutions/ProductOption.aspx?ID=1016

Performing such a cartridge media migration to a newer format such as 3590
might make more sense and should be easily achievable as you have 3590
devices at your site, so just a case of connecting up to the IBM Mainframe.

>From a regulatory viewpoint, if you have to keep data then you have to be
able to read it; so if your data is required for regulatory purposes, even
after the IBM Mainframe has been eradicated from your site, this is
something that you will have to address.  Generally folks do some sort of
data conversion from one platform to another, as the data created on one
platform (I.E. IBM Mainframe) is generally created in a proprietary format
and cannot be read on another platform (E.g. UNIX, Linux, Windows),
regardless of any data creation format considerations such as ASCII and
EBCDIC et al…

It looks like you’re from an education installation and so you might be
able to find a solution using a spirit of reciprocity with a philanthropic
or like-minded installation?  For example, several years ago I came across
a similar scenario and the education facility was able to find
some “common ground” with a local business and so an “exchange” was
arranged where the education facility “parked” their data in a separate
IBM Mainframe virtual tape pool on a minimal LPAR and so the data is
retained indefinitely and exercised by the recycling/reclamation functions
of the virtual tape solution.  A further “access” facility supplements
this should the data be required.  In return the education facility had
something to offer the business in the form of graduate and lecturer
access.  So maybe a question of if you don’t ask you don’t get, but I
suspect IBM might also play a pivotal part in this and indeed have some
other ideas that might not involve any “outsourcing” type costs!

Ultimately the challenge seems to be with the data itself and if it’s
required for regulatory requirements, then the retention and indeed access
of said data seems mandatory.  When we replace IT systems, we generally
convert the data, and of course we might go from one RDBMS (E.g. DB2) to
another (E.g. Oracle) when we decommission the IBM Mainframe, but if there
is supplemental data on tape, we need to do something with this as well.
When we use data movement utilities such as DSS and HSM then data is
stored in a proprietary format, but generally it’s a “readable” extract of
database and application related data (E.g. Sequential File, PDS Library,
Etc.).  In these cases generally one would imagine that some sort of data
conversion should take place, and so this would go right back to the
pivotal question:

“If the data is required for regulatory reasons, why isn’t it being
converted from the IBM Mainframe to the other platform?”

You certainly have options, but in today’s increasingly regulatory bound
world, Production and Business data deletion is on the decrease, and I
guess you’ve decided to retain the data; so you just now need to find a
solution that will safeguard data retention and access…

Regards, UK Mikey.

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 18:16:01 -0600, Len Rugen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm in the process of shrinking our pool of 3490 carts by about 30%.  We
have CA-1, so I'm using COPYCAT.  It works OK to stack to a like device,
but as best as I can tell, it doesn't do media conversion.  We also have a
3494 and 3590's.

>I also have users requesting that data be retained for 7 years, 10 years
or even "forever".  The problem is that the mainframe could well be gone
before forever comes, it will probably be gone in 5 years, but we have
been saying that for awhile.  Today, the only 3490 drives are attached to
the mainframe.  We also have 3590 drives on AIX for ADSM (Whatever Tivoli
calls it now).