Mike,

This tread has prompted me to reread the RMM manuals to see where I may have
misinterpreted them. Based on this review and comments from Russell and you,
here is what I now understand.

RMM will itself match the dsname and tape requested by the user against the
list of dsnames contained on the tape in its control dataset and reject the
request if the full dsname specified by the user doesn't match the full
dsname on the list. So in this manner, RMM protects against a user trying to
access a tape dataset by falsifying the name. If a RACF TAPEVOL profile with
TVTOC is defined, RACF will also validate the dsname for the requested tape
and check for the flag indicating a discrete profile. Further, it is
necessary for RMM OPMODE to be set to PROTECT for this protection to be
fully functional. The RMM option REJECT ANYUSE(*) requires all tapes to be
defined to RMM before they can be used, blocking the use of undefined tapes
(e.g., foreign tapes), and thereby ensuring the dsname validation is
comprehensive.

In addition, to bypass this check, the user must have READ (for input) or
UPDATE (for output) to FACILITY class profile
STGADMIN.EDG.IGNORE.TAPE.volser which is checked when EXPDT=98000 specified,
and use of the exit EDGUX100 is required to implement this functionality.

All this being true, the use of TAPEVOL profiles with TVTOCs does not seem
necessary unless you want to use discrete profiles for a tape dataset or you
want to grant access to tapes at the volume level, both of which are rarely
done. This would make me shy away from using TPRACF(P) or (A) so as not to
have to deal with the TAPEVOL profiles. Are there other security-related
reasons why someone would want to maintain these profiles?

Thanks, Bob