Long post.......

Charles, (and Ed, Shane, and Mark) and all,

It would be really nice if vendors picked up on this and added the
functionality, but I don't see it happening.  Not all sites want to have
a common parmlib for all products, so why force anyone into this?  Mark,
you gave a good example of SDSF server where you have a choice, and if
vendors did that, it would be great, but again, I don't see it
happening.  That is why I was wondering if this facility exists or could
be written for CBT.  Ideally, you could code it on any DD that is being
opened for PDS already.  In my example, I think I gave a red herring on
the first notation, in that that DD statement specified dataset and
member, which is just a sequential BSAM or QSAM read, not really what I
was thinking, but the second DD statement in that example is what I was
talking about.  In reality, if coding something like a SUBSYS=PARM
statement, the remaining portion of the coded DD statement would be
ignored from processing other than it has to pass a JCL syntax check
rules.

The beauty of something like this in my mind is that then as a user of
many vendor products, *I* can choose what ones I want to do this too.  I
can also have a OEM Parmlib that may have different security
requirements, and I don't have to give update authority to SYS1.PARMLIB
to every one that maintains products if that were a concern.

Another benefit of this method(if I'm being selfish) is it would
supplement our software upgrade process.  First, we share PROCLIB and
PARMLIB with manys systems in the plex.  Typically we go through a
couple of mass software upgrades per year, says ISV's 2 and 3rd quarter,
z/OS 1st quarter.  We do this because it takes so long to migrate it
through all of our development and production systems which have IPL
limitations.  When I begin to roll the software out via IPL(I realize
that not all software requires an IPL to implement, but as a general
rule that is how we affect the change), a new LOADxx member is created
for the system being affected by typically add another PARMLIB to the
concatenation Like this:

 PARMLIB  SYS1.MIGRAT.PARMLIB    <<<<---NEW EMPTY PARMLIB
 PARMLIB  SYS1.PARMLIB
 PARMLIB  SYS1.IBM.PARMLIB
 PARMLIB  SYS1.OEM.PARMLIB

The only things that go into this new parmlib are those members that
need changes to support the current software upgrades, in addition to a
MSTRJCLxx and JES2PARM members that have an added migration
PROCLIB(SYS1.MIGRAT.PROCLIB) in their respective concatenations too.  At
IPL time, we use this load member to IPL into the new software(new
sysres via load parm, and common vendor sysres via system symbol and
indirect cataloging) and PARM changes.  This allows us to IPL into the
new software with no pre-IPL work(typically), and the backout is to
re-IPL using the old load parm(and old sysres and/or old common vendor
sysres), again, typically no backout system modifications either.  Once
all systems in the complex are upgraded, these migration PARMLIB and
PROCLIB are collapsed back into their original "homes" ready to start
over for the next time.

To circle back around to the topic, we have the majority of our third
party product parms in SYS1.PARMLIB.  With many systems, that makes for
a large PARMLIB(ours is in the 600-1000 member range) and the majority
of those 3rd party products all hard code SYS1.PARMLIB in their JCL, so
during the above process, we have to move the procs (TMSINIT proc in the
original example) into the the MIGRAT proclib for the sole purpose of
having this shared proc point to a new PARMLIB due to CA-1 parm
changes(mind you this is just an example, the same is true for many
products).

Finally, to be complete, I could see where it would be nice to
additional user defined concatenations for other uses.  Maybe for
applications use, or other common enterprise wide data, and access the
same way via a SUBSYS=???? Statement.  This IBM would have to probably
implement, maybe not.  Maybe this would be good for application
developers where they pull different parms for production vs. test, and
can reduce the amount of proc changes to support.

Sorry for being long winded, just wanted to get my thoughts in.

Dave

Dave Jousma
Principal Systems Programmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]