<snip>

> Do your users access the 10.171.x.x addresses by IP number or
> by a name
> that could have its DNS switched to your surviving number
> range instead?
> Couldn't you get them to use a name now (instead of the
> numbers) to avoid
> the upcoming issue?
>
> --
> Tom Schmidt
> Madison, WI

All access to the z/OS system is by IP address. All outgoing access is
also by IP address. I just recently learned how to get the DNS name
resolution working on z/OS as it was a low priority item.

Yes, I need to get the z/OS system in our DNS. However, this still does
not solve the problem. If I can tell the users to use the "name" instead
of the IP address, I could tell them to stop using the old IP address
and start using the new as well. The problem is more a communications
problem than anything else. And the fact that nobody in the field pays
any attention to us <sigh>.

I would be my, perhaps unreasonable, hope that if the people kept
getting a message every time they did an ftp, they might actually get
around to changing before the "drop dead" date.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.