What about VTAM controlled consoles? They can be used for anything once
VTAM is up, just like a local 3270. For IPL purposes, use VPN to get to
the HMC. IPL from it. Automate your IPL. If there is a problem, you can
<shudder> use the HMC's line-mode "system console" mode. It sucks, but
it is usable for a short duration (like to fix a problem to get VTAM
up).

Or a Visara, which is ESCON connected to the zSeries. You can then use
TN3270 over a VPN. IBM has a similar product, but it cannot be EMIF'ed.

Lastly, if you are on a z890/z990/z9 system, you can configure an OSA as
an OSA-ICC. But this dedicates that OSA to TN3270 work (nonSNA). It
cannot be used for both SNA and IP traffic. You could, again, VPN to the
OSA-ICC. This can handle multiple LPARs. There is a Redbook on setting
this up. I don't remember its name.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.