<snip>

> We were sorely disappointed in our setup and testing of these OSA
> console connections.  They would come up easily enough, and allow
> connection using a telnet session over our intranet through Attachmate
> or Reflections, but no more than one person could be connected to a
> console at a time.  When more than one person attempted to
> get into the
> same console at the same time, or at random intervals (from hours to
> days), the connections to the ICC consoles would drop without
> giving any
> kind of definitive error code in SYSLOG (you could see the CN switch,
> but no consistent reason to troubleshoot).  Multi-connect
> seemed to make
> the ICC consoles lockup.  To get the consoles back on, we had to go
> through an annoyingly long sequence of vary console, vary device, and
> reset console commands to get it working again so that we could telnet
> back into it.

Did I understand the above correctly? You want a single console address,
say 1234, to be able to support multiple clients? I don't know of any
z/OS console solution (2074, Visara) that will do that.

Do you want the same ability for VTAM terminals? I.e. two different
people on the same LU? What about security? Our TCP/IP consoles require
a LOGON. I don't want user A and B to "share" a console session.

> Where we had expected it to come up, and stay up from IPL to IPL, we
> were very disappointed.  Where we had expected to be able to restore
> connectivity with one vary console command, again we were
> disappointed.
> Clearly, the ICC console capability is useful, but more as a disaster
> recovery or HMC console replacement and is not ready for prime time.

I think this "dropping" at IPL is a "bad thing"(tm) also. Of course, the
way that I do things, which is not necessarily correct, is to set the
TN3270 client software to automatically reconnect when it drops.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.