On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 15:13 -0500, Gil, Victor x28091 wrote:
> We'd like to be able to prevent certain "confidential" fields in production
> files from being revealed to "unauthorized" users while still allowing
> access to the rest of the record.

Oooh, nasty.

You might front-end OPEN, plugging your own GET routine address(es) into
the DCB before returning to the user.  In turn your GET routine would
drive IBM's, then nullify the fields in question.  It wouldn't keep out
the determined snooper, but would be okay for casual users.

You might simply encrypt the fields you don't want people to see.  We do
this in our shop (using a laughable homegrown encryption routine -- it
wouldn't thwart a dedicated crook, but it keeps honest people honest).

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.