From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 3:13 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Removed 3480 drives - question

We have removed our old 3480 drives. We still have our 3490E drives. A
3490E drive can read a 3480 cartridge. The question becomes: If I remove
the 3480 drive addresses from my IODF, will z/OS (1.6) automagically
allocate a 3490E drive for a 3480 cart, when accessed via the z/OS
catalog (no UNIT= in the JCL at all)? My guess is: "No, it will not."
The hope around here is: "Yes it will, so we don't need to worry about
it."

If the answer is "No", then is there some way to make the answer be
"Yes"? Say via a standard z/OS exit? Please, no OEM products - usually
lack of money.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html
This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this
email/fax is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.