If your jobs all used UNIT=3480, you're going to end up doing
search-and-replace on JCL because those aren't esoterics in your eligible
device table (EDT). It they were using UNIT=TAPE or UNIT=CART, the value
in the catalog (I believe, one of you with more expertise can correct me
if I'm wrong) reflects the esoteric and not the actual device.

I tried a test of this by my DEVTYPE in the catalog all ended up the same
- I forgot that I have StorageTek's SMC, HSC, and VTCS installed, SMC
reallocated all of these to my virtual tape subsystem:

Specific unit type UNIT=3490 DEVTYPE------X'78048081'
Specific device    UNIT=300  DEVTYPE------X'78048081'
Esoteric                  UNIT=TAPE DEVTYPE------X'78048081'

When I did a DEFINE NONVSAM with different device types, the esoterics
(like VTSS or CART)  had different DEVTYPEs than when I put a device type
like 3490.

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation