<----- snip ----->
I'm with Jim on this. I was a contractor in the mid to late '90's and came
across the early TCPIP stack, written in PASCAL and ported from VM. As I
recall it performed OK, and had some quite advanced features like VIPA
which was the subject of another recent thread.
<----- snip ----->

I installed TCPIP 2.2 or 2.2.1 in November 1992. It was written in
PASCAL(/VS?), there were two subsystems: TNF and VMCF (virtual machine
communication? facility) because it was a port from VM. Dataset names were
hardcoded, so I had problems with our dataset naming standards, messages had
no message ids. Somehow I do not remember VIPA at that time, I think it came
in 3.3 or 3.4. I believe to remember it was possible to change the MAC
address on the 3172.

In the release 3.1 or 3.2 there were two FTP servers, one written in C and
one in PASCAL(/VS?).

Zaromil